The NYC lipedema surgeon (Upper East Side, Manhattan, NY). Adam Schaffner, MD, is a triple board certified plastic surgeon. The best in class lipedema surgeon accepts most insurance for this surgery. Several types of liposuction are considered effective and safe for individuals with lipedema.
Lipedema is a disorder that occurs mostly in women and is characterized by symmetrical fatty excess in the legs and sometimes arms and trunk. Lipedema is frequently misdiagnosed as obesity. The cause is not known but it may be genetic or due to hormones. Some patients experience pain or discomfort in the affected areas therefore we have lipedema treatment.
How does lipedema present?
- Fat Distribution: Abnormal accumulation of fat (typically in the legs and sometimes the arms)
- Pain and Bruising: The affected areas are often tender and tend to bruise easily.
- Progressive: Lipedema is a progressive condition, meaning it worsens over time, especially without treatment. It often develops or worsens at puberty, during pregnancy, after gynecologic surgery, or around the time of menopause, which suggests a hormonal component.
- Symmetry: It usually affects both sides of the body symmetrically.
Lipedema surgery with liposuction:
- Safety and effective
- Immediate results
- The option of local or general anesthesia provides more comfort and more flexibility\Preserves the delicate lymphatics to prevent lymphedema
- Most effective treatment known
Benefits of Liposuction Surgery for Lipedema
- Symptoms: patients who experience tenderness or pain to light touch and pressure report that these symptoms go away completely in most cases.
- Halt of Disease Progression: lipedema is known to get worse over time and show rapid progression during certain periods, having liposuction to affected areas not only removes most of this fat, but most of the time slows or even halts return of the fat.
- Cosmetic Improvement: liposuction can also bring about a profound change in the appearance of lipedema legs restoring what would be a considered a “normal looking feature”.
- Emotional Impact: man people with lipedema suffer emotionally with lack of confidence and depression resulting from the multiple facets of the disease. Liposuction in this case can make a profound difference in restoring a person’s emotional health.
The results from lipedema surgery are permanent provided that you maintain a stable weight and general fitness. As your body ages, it is natural to lose some firmness, but most of your improvement are immediately apparent and will be appreciated for many years to come.
If you have any questions about Arm Lift Plastic Surgery or would like to schedule a an expert Arm Lift Plastic Surgery consultation with the NYC Arm Lift Plastic Surgeon; please feel free to contact Adam Schaffner MD, FACS.